Premier Family Law Attorneys
Enforcement Top Quality Legal Representation, Every Time.

Enforcement of Orders

Assistance for Residents of Palm Beach, Martin, St. Lucie & Indian River Counties

In the event your ex-spouse refuses to comply with a court order, such as paying child support, it is advisable to consult with an experienced lawyer to determine your next steps. The court may find your ex-spouse in contempt; however, a finding of civil contempt does not happen right away. You will need to present your issue(s) before the court and present proper evidence to prove your ex-spouse failed to follow court orders.

How to File a Motion of Civil Contempt/Enforcement

To enforce an existing court order or final judgement, you need to file for a Motion for Civil Contempt/Enforcement, expressing how the other party violated the order. Some examples of a violation may include but are not limited to denying access to your child during parenting time, failing to pay child support, or missing alimony payments.

Contact our office online or call us at (561) 693-1241 to schedule your initial consultation with one of our lawyers regarding your enforcement case.

When Would You Enforce a Court Order?

Enforcing an order is sometimes necessary when the nature of a divorce changes. Perhaps the divorce was amicable and matters regarding child custody and child support were agreed upon without disputes. However, in the event one party’s attitude or feelings shift, he/she may refuse to comply with a court order out of spite and you may find yourself in a position where you need to go to court.

How to Enforce a Court Order

To encourage compliance, you are permitted to enforce a court-order obligation in the event your ex-spouse violated the terms of an agreement. You can start the process of enforcing a court order by filing a Motion for Contempt or a Motion for Order to Show Cause to request that a judge hold your ex-spouse in contempt.

The Consequences of Violating a Court Order

One party can be found in criminal contempt only if he/she intentionally violated a court order. Florida law limits the situations in which a parent can be held in criminal contempt. However, if your ex-spouse is found in contempt, he/she may face serious legal consequences. The consequences for not complying with a court order might include wage garnishment, compensatory visitation, a verbal reprimand, incarceration, and other sanctions.

Whether you are accused of being in contempt or struggling with your ex-spouse’s refusal to be compliant, it is important to resolve these issues as soon as possible to protect your family. Failure to comply with a court order can cause emotional and financial hardship on you and your child(ren), so seek assistance today.

Contact an Experienced Attorney at Our Firm

At Sasser, Cestero & Roy, P.A., we understand the importance of fulfilling a court-order obligation. After a divorce is finalized, the agreed upon court orders provide stability, defining what child custody, child support, and a parenting plan will look like as you and your family move forward. It is crucial for you to contact an attorney at our firm if your ex-spouse has violated one of these orders. We can help make it right.

Contact our office or call us at (561) 693-1241 to schedule a confidential consultation with one of our lawyers regarding your enforcement case. Hablamos español.

You Don't Have to Come Into the Office for a Fresh Start

Have questions about how the works? Give us a call or fill out a form to speak with an attorney.

Contact Us

Schedule Your Private Consultation
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Submitting your information does not create an attorney-client relationship